Thursday, March 7, 2013

I guess I shouldn't neglect my blog for any longer...

Have you missed me? I've been meaning to blog since we arrived in Japan six days ago--that's right we have been here almost and entire week and other than a few Facebook posts, Instagram pics, and one lousy email to our closest family we have been MIA.

My sincerest apologies.

But, I have moved to another country, gotten the keys for a new apartment, bought a new(to us) car, got my Japanese drivers license, attempted to drive on the opposite side of the car and road, learned to take the trains, walked about a BILLION miles, enrolled into a new university, applied for a new job, and eaten lots of good Japanese food...so I hope you can forgive me!

I wish I could tell you I have some big, elaborate post for you....but I have been dreading this SO MUCH! For one, I am exhausted...I have not slept in past 8 AM one day since I have arrived here, if you know me, you know that is crazy town! Ryan and I both pass out before 10 PM every.single.night. Things will change, yes. But for now we are still overwhelmed in the best ways--which leaves us dog tired.

The second reason I have dreaded this post is because I have not been taking pictures like a good tourist should. I do not know when it is appropriate to take pictures. We were told to do as the Japanese do- let me tell you, they do not take pictures of every meal they eat. I am slowly learning when and where I can take a photo without being rude. With that being said more pictures will be coming for two years-- so please do not fret!

The third and last reason I have been dreading this post is because there is so much to talk about its overwhelming. Literally everything is new. I could blog about 90% of what happens during our days thus far and you would probably be entertained. So how will I proceed now that I have less time to blog and more to blog about?  Baby steps.  Short, frequent posts for the next week should get us mostly caught up. 

Below I will share some pictures and tomorrow I will be back with a better, more in depth post! We move into our apartment tomorrow!

Some of what we have been eating! I dig the broths and salad dressings. We had a great steak dinner, Japanese style!


They have these vending machines EVERYWHERE. On base. Off Base. EVERYWHERE. I'll snap a closer picture for you all to see what they have inside!
 Below is my favorite item from the machines thus far--Japanese green tea, you can have it hot or cold. Coolest vending machines ever!
 
I also found Starbucks in the shopping mall already! Its somewhat different than American Starbucks--because Japanese people live more in the moment than the typical "on the go" Americans hurrying through Starbucks. 
 A few pictures of the mall. Awesome shopping here!

 A terrible picture of the train station!
 Our new Subaru Forester! All the cars here are of course much, much different. We chose this guy because its sort of an "SUV" and has lots of room.....for when we go to IKEA soon! :) Right now Ryan can't drive but I can sooooo it is pretty much chaos. But I'm starting to rock at driving on the opposite side of the road and car! 



Sayonara friends!

Here's your Japanese lesson for the day: Arigato Gozimas = Thank You Very Much

XOXO
Ashley

4 comments:

  1. How exciting! I bet you're so exhausted though I can only imagine. Hot or cold vending machines!? Heck yes!!! Is it the weirdest thing ever driving on the opposite side of the car and road!? I don't think I could handle that lol Can't wait for more posts girly! You're gonna have so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too cool :) Please keep the posts coming - Im loving it - glad youre safe and busy and durn girl - youve done so much in the past week - dont worry about blogland, keep kicking ass and taking names :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley-

    I love reading your blog because reminds me of the half a year I spent in Germany. I miss it every day and wish I could go back... every... single... day. Enjoy your two years in Japan and can't wait to see where your travels take you! Bon Voyage!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really putting a lot into every day, what a great adventure! I try to check your blog every day. We were gone for 3 days, came home to over a foot of snow and no power. Out for 19 hours. A little chilly by the time it did come back on. Love to read about you and your adventures. Looking forward to pictures! Love u GMA

    ReplyDelete