Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sayonara USA!

This post should not be happening. 5 hours til I am supposed to "wake up" for the biggest journey of my entire life. I am excited, anxious, and nervous all in one. I am just glad it is finallllllly happening, after all the set backs and date changes. It's hitting me a little more now than ever but until I arrive in that chaotic Tokyo airport I'm not sure I will quite understand what Ryan and I are about to experience.

We had a minor (but seemed HUGE) setback. We never made it to Seattle due to a few paperwork issues. We are not flying on that dreaded military flight from United States military base to United States military base, pros and cons come with this setback.

Pros:  1.) We will arrive at virtually the same time as previously thought. 2.) Commercial Flight from San Diego to Los Angeles to Tokyo, no stopping in Seattle for a night. 3.) We get to see Tokyo and experience the airport and culture instead of just hopping from base to base immediately. 4.) Exchanging Dollars for Yen at the airport and buying our first REAL Japanese food...

Cons: 1.) We have to endure most of it by ourselves instead of with other sailors/families 2.) Customs 3.) 12 Hour flight versus 11 Hour Flight

Either way, its happening and its about to be crazy. I promise to take lots of pictures and update the blog as soon as WiFi is available. The next weeks will be CRAZY trying to get our living quarters, registering for classes (which start March 18th), and getting accustomed to living in Japan.

This is what I have planned for the 12 Hour Flight:


I will be reading this on my iPad Mini and I am sure to be found laughing out loud in seat 23B.



I bought the First Season of GIRLS and plan on watching the entire season. SO EXCITED.


I also downloaded the entire first season of Downton Abbey so I can see what all the hype is about!


We also have all the Ocean's Movies (Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen). I have NEVER seen them so we plan on watching them together....with our new headphones and headphone splitter. Technology makes me crazy but I would die without it!

Along with all this media we can be found getting competitive playing monopoly on the iPad and brushing up on our conversational Japanese! Oh, and sleeping.

P.S. I so wish someone could catch our culture shock on camera when we try and navigate through the Tokyo airport....I'm sure it would be YouTube worthy!

Next time I write it will be from Japan!

Sayonara,

XOXO
Ashley





1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe it's FINALLY happening! I am so scared but excited for you all at the same time! I am so excited tosee what you think of girls and downtown abbey(which I've never seen) Cannot wait for your next update! You are SO incredibly brave and I am so jealous of your big adventure!

    ReplyDelete